The Equestrian Academy of Cape Town (EACT) is a Private High School offering an Equestrian Program for students Grade 10 – 12 and its Institute of Equine Studies offers Post Matric Career Courses.
Pursue a Career in Horses
There is a need for suitably qualified staff within the ever growing horse industry of South Africa.
The Equestrian Academy Cape Town was established in order to fulfill the need for qualified personnel by offering comprehensive equestrian career training courses at its well-equipped academy and equestrian center where students can attend lectures as well as gain essential practical experience.
Equine Studies as a School Subject
Equine Studies can be chosen by students as a choice subject from grade 10. Equine Studies curriculum encompasses four main areas of study namely Equine Nutrition, Equine Anatomy, Riding Proficiency and Equine Health Care.
Equine Studies consists of Theory and Practical components. Pupils learn about the following:
1. The care and feeding of horses.
2. The Anatomy of horses including the system, digestive system, etc.
3. Horse riding and horse training.
4. Horse management.
5. Pupils are prepared for the National Senior Certificate Equine Studies as examined by the Independent Examinations Board (IEB)
Equine Studies activities include fieldtrips to: Feed manufacturers, racehorse trainers, veterinary clinics, and more…
Post-Matric Equestrian Courses
EACT Institute of Equine studies offers post-matric module courses which provide Equestrian training in line with EQASA (Equestrian Qualifications Authority of Southern Africa) syllabus and requirements of the EQASA certificate examinations. These modules range from stable yard skills to the preliminary riding instruction module & Level 1 Riding Instructor module.
Other courses include: Horse Care & Stud Management – a course which equips the equestrian student with the skills and knowledge to manage a stable yard and/or stud farm.
The mainstream career paths within the horse industry are outlined as follows:
• Equine Stud Management – with career opportunities being stud groom, assistant stud manager and stud manager.
• Stable Yard Management – with career opportunities being stable yard groom, stable yard supervisor and stable yard manager.
• Equine Riding Instructor – with career opportunities being freelance instructor, riding school owner or being fully employed at a riding yard establishment.